ONE STOP MUSICSTATION

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

ONE STOP MUSICSTATION

ONE STOP MUSICSTATION

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This Site ContainS Music Around The World NEWS>INFO>SOFTWARE>AUDIO>VIDEO>TUTORIAL>PC AND MOBILE RELATED SOFTWARE>WALLPAPER>SCREENSAVER>MUSIC TAB>TIPS N TRICKS>VOCALS>BANDS AND MUCH_MUCH MORE..COME AND JOIN US ..AND BE PART OF OUR COMMUNITY..

Editing Midi Tutorial (Cakewalk Sonar 8)-video

zeeleey
    zeeleey

Editing Midi Tutorial (Cakewalk Sonar 8)-video Empty Editing Midi Tutorial (Cakewalk Sonar 8)-video

Post by zeeleey Thu 21 Apr 2011 - 11:29

This video is produced by Madcowmoo.

Transcription:
    This is our Sonar 8 producer edition and this is a very quick video response to a query I had about what happens if you spend some time with the lads in the band putting down a selection of tracks or what not of a song and the keyboard player is taken off to Las Vegas with a floozy and is not coming back for the love of the money and he has made a few bump chords or a few bump notes or put notes in the wrong place and so on and so forth.

Well, I’m going to show you how to fix that inside sonar 8. I have a single Midi track open here. It’s been solo so it’s anything that is receiving or transmitting data. I am going to make sure the record facility for this track is on; the red button is highlighted here. Metronome is off because I don’t like hearing it when I’m fluting around. I’m going to hit record and I’m going to tap on the keyboard and play a few bump notes.

We leave it at that. Press stop down here. I’m going to switch off the record facility and solo the track. The green area you can see, there is data in there. This area here is the right hand input and down here you put the left hand, which is basically an octave, OK.

Just double click this and what will open up is the piano roll viewer as it is known. And what you have is a virtual keyboard in the left hand side which you can play if you are into it. And these are representations of the notes. This is the time indicator, OK, indicated by this little green triangle at the top here. And as this time line or time indicator moves across these various blocks, it plays whatever note the block is in line with the keyboard.

Now, the longer the key block, the longer the key has been pressed. So, we head back to the start using the transform controls return to 0 button here, you can see where it started recording. So, I’m just going to click just before there and I’m going to hit play. So I’m just going to click just before there, just going to hit back to the track viewer and hit solo back on otherwise I won’t hear what I am doing. And I’m going over the piano roll view and hit play.

OK, here are first two mistakes. These 2 notes here are actually 1 key on the keyboard too high. Now there are 3 tools I’m going to use or be aware of. The first is number 1 which is the select tool, the number 2 is the draw tool and number 3 is the erase tool. Very handy stuff. Select tool selected as it were quick and drag over these 2 notes. they are highlighted in dark green colour there. Hover over, as you can see, I have a nice move cursor which enables to move it all over the the place.

What I’m going to do is drag it down one key and let go. So they’ve moved. And, if I go back to the start and play again. OK, the last problem now is the very last one we played. And this note is actually in the wrong place. OK, this has to be in the same place as this note here. OK, again just click and hold and drag it down like that. Now, how do we shorten a note?

Alright, we pick up the draw tool and get a hold at the end of the note. You can see the cursor turns into a double headed arrow. Just click and drag to the left slightly and let go and it shortens it so it’s the same as all the rest. OK, if you need to group move some notes.

For example, maybe I want a nice pause to come in here, I might just click and drag with the select tool a box around these notes Highlights them all. Click and then drag. Alright, so this is how you fix bases that the guy has left behind where maybe he paused because his brain is trying to work out what keys come next.

You’ve been left with these big gaps so these notes need to be much nearer the rest of the composition. Again you just highlight them, click and drag, like that. OK, if you want to erase a note completely, just select the erase tool and just click on it, like that. So, some very basic editing there but it shows you how you can fix a few bump notes, how you can get rid of gaps in a song, how you can move whole notes up and down the keyboard. Have some fun with that. I’ll catch you next time. Thanks for that.
    sonartricks.com

Current date/time is Fri 17 May 2024 - 13:28