ONE STOP MUSICSTATION

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

ONE STOP MUSICSTATION

ONE STOP MUSICSTATION

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This Site ContainS Music Around The World NEWS>INFO>SOFTWARE>AUDIO>VIDEO>TUTORIAL>PC AND MOBILE RELATED SOFTWARE>WALLPAPER>SCREENSAVER>MUSIC TAB>TIPS N TRICKS>VOCALS>BANDS AND MUCH_MUCH MORE..COME AND JOIN US ..AND BE PART OF OUR COMMUNITY..

Getting a Handle on Basic Compression and Limiting

zeeleey
    zeeleey

Getting a Handle on Basic Compression and Limiting Empty Getting a Handle on Basic Compression and Limiting

Post by zeeleey Wed 6 Apr 2011 - 15:36

Getting a Handle on Basic Compression and Limiting Audio-rack-units
    For some reason, compression was just one of those things for me that I could not grasp right away. Ratios, thresholds, limiters, maximizers, attack, release…..I didn’t want any part of it. I just figured that compression was something that HAD to be done on a track, and I would just select a preset I THOUGHT sounded nice, and that was that. Little did I know, I was being a total ignorant fool, and my music sounded like shit because of it.

I found this article a while back, and it really helped me grasp the basic functions of a typical compressor:

How to Use a Compressor/Limiter

I also heard this analogy from a professor at Penn State one time, and it always stuck with me:

A compressor is like a little man who sits there with a remote control for the volume. Every time he hears a sound that is too loud, he turns the volume down until it’s quieter and then he turns it back up to the volume that he enjoyed before the loud sound occurred.

Current date/time is Fri 17 May 2024 - 12:19